Is it possible to pass parameters to the filter

Is it possible to create a filter using deepAR on Android that renders a card with a randomly generated word as the filter’s parameter each time it is clicked? The most important aspect is whether passing parameters is feasible. If it is possible, what approach should be used?

Hi @olly!

Since there are currently no text features the best way to do something like that would roughly contain the following steps:

1. Create an effect with card placed on the head.
  2. Using the Unlit Texture place a material on it with some initial texture.
  3. On the click generate a new bitmap with the text in wanted resolution.
  4. Change the texture used by the effect using changeParameterTexture so that the new word appears.
1 Like

Hi @igor
I would like some more details on the solution, specifically steps 3 and 4. Pointing me to relevant documentation or providing some code would go a long way. I think it would be awesome for those of us who don’t have much background in graphics and were expecting text features out of the box. Thanks

PS: I’m a university professor in software engineering and I am considering integrating DeepAR, which I find awesome, in a lab assignment for my class on mobile app development. I need to cut some of the work for them since they don’t have much experience in 2D and 3D rendering either.

Hi, the text rendering is not one of the features included in DeepAR, it can be through steps Igor has mentioned, but if you are using it for educational purposes I would advise skipping using text unless you want an additional challenge

Here’s a general thread on how to do it on Android

Hi @jelena
Thanks!

I made it work yesterday but it was complicated by the fact that I’m using Flutter. The DeepAR Flutter plugin, unlike the one for React Native, doesn’t make changeParameterTexture visible. It’s hidden behind changeParameter and requires a path to an asset file. I had to modify the Android part of the plugin and it’s working but I don’t have any experience in Swift and can’t really test whether my modifications would work on iOS.

Takeaway: The DeepAR Flutter plugin needs help. Issues are not being answered for months and some basic API stuff is missing. You guys have an amazing product but the documentation/ecosystem is struggling a bit. Cheers!